Friday, December 27, 2013

So, I've been thinking

As most of us usually do when we have too much time on our hands...We've all been out of the office, away from our busy schedules for a bit, the dust has cleared and thoughts, magnificent thoughts, rise to the surface for review and exploration. Talking with your mom is probably the greatest decision you could make, especially if your mom is anything like mine. Our similarities can breed tension but when I defer to her wisdom and judgment I am pleasantly surprised by the outcome. 

This break from a busy and hectic work schedule really allowed me to think about what my life should be in 2014. The conversations with my mom and dad helped put some signposts to what honestly feels like the nebulous and overwhelming task of answering the question, "What am I doing with my life." My current life can be summed up rather briefly: I am unattached, living in DC, working for a Member of Congress, finding my spiritual bearings and doing life with a select few people around me. I've found my place but not my people. 

Coming back to the familiar, the safe, is always a good way to allow yourself the freedom to think and feel and question. Putting your cards on the table with the people who love you most can be a very vulnerable yet freeing experience. Being able to say, "I don't know what I'm doing. I'm lost." isn't really on anybody's bucket list. But it's in that moment of confession and wandering hope that the people in your life can offer perspective, motivation and direction. My best friend is good at that. I hope you all have someone in your life you can say anything to and know you can hear anything from. My best friend doesn't sugarcoat things. During this holiday "down time" she told me, "Don't spend your time looking for the right person; spend your time becoming the right person. You're not the architect. You are the home buyer and the market isn't ready yet." We all need people in our lives who can tell us stuff like that. She also reminded me of an amazing quote from the Secret Life of Walter Mitty: "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." Seriously, I love that girl.

Back to my parents - one of their suggestions was to write more. I have been told that I have a gift of storytelling. I'm one of those rare souls who still write letters and post them in the mail. I'm often told by my pen pals that my writing is some of their favorite to read. It's how I process. Once I explained it this way, "I've found that my problems don't seem so big when they are just words on paper." It's true. So 2014 is going to include a lot more writing. This blog is going to detail the thoughts I have, the things I am processing, the lessons I am learning and probably a lot more. 

If you’d like to interact with me on these posts, please comment or hit me up on Google+.
                               


No comments:

Post a Comment