Thursday, March 13, 2014

generally speaking

oh yah, I have a blog.

This is all written on a whim as I'm crossing through my to-do list at work. This has been a crazy few weeks in session. So many meetings and conflicts to resolve. I recently oversaw the work of a volunteer who truly struggled for the first 6 weeks of his program to find his place. He was terrible at following directions and being able to finish tasks. One of my mentors and I discussed this situation and after three or four conversations we all agreed the volunteer would work very hard to adjust his attitude and work to improve on his opportunities. I was encouraged by his growth.

Confrontation is a big difficulty for me. When I was managing the Disney Store in Charlotte, NC, confronting Cast Members who weren't meeting goals was extremely difficult. It is hard for me to say "You are doing this wrong and you're disappointing me." I don't know why it's hard. I can do it fine with friends and family. haha but not with coworkers/employees. I really am glad that I was able to follow through the confrontation, engage the conflict and work toward a solution. I'd like to continue to grow in that regard but that's a dangerous desire. God may help me by giving me a lot of difficult people to deal with. Which I guess would be fine if that's what He wants to do.

I'm enjoying Lent. (Those words probably shouldn't go together) I have given up screen time to make room for other things. No social media, TV, shows, movies, Netflix. I've been reading a lot more and sitting quietly. It's been a good week of Lent so far. I'm also looking for a dog and that has taken up quite a bit of my time. I'm hoping to have a dog by summer but the process is long and hard. I keep asking God to bring along the perfect fit. He's good to me so I'm not worried.

The weather in DC has been great this week. OMG I love being outside. I picked up my roommate Elizabeth from the airport last week and the sun was out, it was mid 60s and perfect. She and I were discussing our plans for our house and purchasing a place in DC and then purchasing a whole street and taking over the world. I laughed and said how dangerous good weather is because it makes dreamers like Elizabeth and I believe we actually can do everything we set our minds to.

Let's see, what else? I caught my hair on fire a few weeks ago - not sure if I've mentioned that just yet on this blog. Yah. I was standing too close to an open flame at a cool place called the 18th St. Lounge and my hair just went up in smoke (and flames). I put the flames out with my hands, went home immediately and wallowed in the misery and stench of burnt hair. The salon around the corner opened at 11am Sunday morning and I was camped out at the door. 5 inches later, I was a happy kid.

I haven't seen the LEGO movie yet but I've been wanting to. That will be my one cheat during Lent, if I get around to the theater in time.That's about it. I haven't even thought about what to write on this blog in a while and I'm not sure anyone cares about the contents of this post but whatever. There it is for you.

Peace 'n blessins.

No comments:

Post a Comment